I posted this in email--really need an answer

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

TreeHugger

Hello Mark,

I have a Lear Siegler Model MED 62 electric. I have a wire that is not connected anymore. The covering is flaking off it. The connector was corroded and the wire too. I need to replace the wire and connector. What size wire do I need? I have a picture attached. What I really need to know is: Does this wire affect the fan from turning? What does that solenoid do?

The furnace will kick on but, then kicks off sometimes. Sometimes it will start the fan and sometimes it won't. If the fan doesn't start sometimes it heats up and smokes(I think its just dust burning off). I am afraid it will catch fire some night and burn my trailer up while I sleep. I have been able to make it work.

I have to turn the thermostat way down and let it cool off. Then I turn the thermostat back up and I reach inside and start the fan turning by hand when it kicks on and then it will start blowing. Is it the corroded wire thats disconnected that is causing the problem or is the fan motor just wornout? It acts like the brushes are worn out in one spot and if you turn it by hand they make contact and the fan starts blowing. I have seen old drills and fans that acted like that. What do you think? And do you have the replacement parts to fit it? I would appreciate any help you can give. WBS via email or call.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

I'm going to move this to the heating section, But my advice to you is that if you are not sure what you are doing around electricity CALL A PROFESSIONAL.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
TreeHugger

I am fine with electricity. I've been wiring since I was twelve. My Dad taught me to wire with the electric turned on. I got bit a couple of times, but it makes you learn fast. I would turn the breaker off before I tackled this because its 220. I just don't know whether the disconnected wire is the problem or the fan motor. Its getting cold at night and I need to get this fixed before the snow flys.

L8tr, TH
Robert

Hi,

There are no parts still available for those old Lear-Siegler furnaces, however, most components for electric furnaces can be used if you know how to determine what is needed.

That wire is from one side of a heating element and also a limit switch.

It would effect the blower IF it is the blower circuit wire. However, since you can get the blower to run, that would not be the case here.

You probably have a combo of problems. From what you said, I would say maybe a sequencer problem, the wire problem and possibly a run capacitor problem.

IF those 3 did not solve the problem, then I would test the motor, would be good to do it anyway.

With all you stated, I would get an hvac tech out to at least properly diagnose it and to know exactly what you need.

We have the parts once you know what you need.

The wire would be 10 gauge thermoplastic rated for 105*C and we do have it also.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
TreeHugger

Hey Robert,

Thanks for your diagnosis. I appreciate the info very much. I will try and get an appointment. At least I have an Idea about what might be wrong so, I don't get took.

Thanks again, TH
Robert

Hi TH,

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?