gas furnace wont shut off

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

taziztheman2001

i have an older furnace, unsure of make, and probably from the 70's. when i light the furnace and turn it on it will not shut off. the pilot has been cleaned and a new thermocouple installed. the repair man from my gas company says the problem is with the thermostat and there is nothing he can do. i have a new hunter brand thermostat installed and also ran new thermostat wire to the furnace and i still have the same problem. i am having to "babysit" the furnace by turning it to on and letting it run a little while then turning it back to pilot. what can i do to fix this?
taziztheman2001

the furnace is made by duo-therm model number 76003-2
Robert

Hi,

Test the t-stat to see if it gives a no call for heat once satisfied.

When room temp is reached, see if gas valve is still receiving voltage, most likely 24vac depending on furnace.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
taziztheman2001

we finally got a repair man out here and unfortunately the problem is my valve is stuck open. he is looking for parts but unsure if he can fins anything that old :(
Robert

Hi,

See if this is what is needed:

http://www.hvacpartstore.com/product_de ... cts_id=151

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
taziztheman2001

it doesnt look like that one. the power wires and on/pilot/off knob and gas in are on the right side, gas out and thermocouple are on the left. the front has something that almost looks like a cap that is round and roughly 2" wide
Robert

Hi,

Doubtful you'll find an exact replacement that looks the same. The location is not that big of an issue, it can be repiped to work fine.

That is only Duo-Therm gas valve we have or know of.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
taziztheman2001

ok thanks
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Thanks,
Robert