Wesco furnace making humming noise

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

MikeHaslam

Woke up this morning and hear a hum comming from the furnace when not running. When turn off the 60amp circuit breaker installed in the furnace itself, it doesn't make noise. But sounds like the noise is coming from another place, not the circuit breaker (but my ears aren't the best, could be wrong).

Its a 74 mobile home and sure its the original furnance, any ideas? (was trying to see if could remove circuit breaker in furnace, but doesn't seem to be a standard type nor come out easy).

Live in Bothell WA area..I think Wesco no longer in business so no idea who to contact? Furnace is in small enclosed closet type space, so not very easy access, so looking for someone who is familiar with dealing with mobile homes and their specific requirements, constrains, etc.

Thanks
Mike
Robert

Hi Mike,

Is it an electric furnace ? Can you turn just the blower motor on by itself with a fan On/Auto switch at furnace or t-stat ?

If so, turn to ON and see if blower runs.

If not, open control box and see if hum is the transformer ?

Yep, Wesco is long gone, but maybe we can still help. Been at this for 28+ years now.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
MikeHaslam

Sorry, yes its electric. The furnace is still working ok, blower works and put out heat, just heard the humming noise as though something about to go or stop working soon...

I took the main panel cover off and didn't seem to be the circuit breaker but then again my ears aint the best as I mentioned.

Not sure what the transformer looks like exactly, so not sure

Thanks
mike
Robert

Hi Mike,

Go here and scroll down to the 8th and 9th parts on both sides:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/NordyneElec.html

Click pics for enlarged views, those are transformers used in electric furnaces.

Humming is usually a transformer, breaker or fuse or the blower motor not working.

Blower works and breakers seem ok, so transformer is next and is most common of the three.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
MikeHaslam

Thanks for the info, will check it out tonight and see. Course Wesco being out of business doesn't bode well for replacement parts I assume.... :(

Thanks again!

Mike
Robert

Hi Mike,

Some parts are universal and used in other units, so may can help.

Them being out of business is not good, but still may can get something.

THanks,
Robert