A/C Not Cooling The House

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

phdaisy1

I'm going to apologize about what little information I have upfront.

I purchased a used 14x76 1996 Fleetwood for my mother-in-law in March and it has been up and running for 3 months now without an issue. Last month, she had a $350 electric bill! We had a trusted a/c guy come by and said that there was nothing that he could see wrong with the unit only that it was old (I'm assuming it's the same unit originally with the house). Just 3 days ago, the a/c stopped working and the house was at 90 degrees. They came by again and replaced the motor/fan but as of yesterday, the house was still at 90 degrees and it was running all day with no sign of cooling.

I felt the vents and you could feel cool air but it was very light. Obviously not strong enough to cool the house. The a/c guy came back again, searched under the house and did a good inspection but said that there were no leaks under the house and the unit was working, but said that it is probably too weak to power the house. I think he said it was a 7 or 8 seer with 2 1/2 tons. He said that our only option would be an expensive one as not only the a/c unit but the heating unit would have to be replaced and we are looking in the $7000 ball park.

I tried to call a couple of other a/c companies but none of them would service mobile homes.

Needless to say I was not prepared for that conversation. We're based in Dallas and it's getting awfully hot over here, so waiting is not an option. I'm really concerned since it was working fine cooling the house at the pre-programmed temp up to a few days ago. Is replacing our only option and are they really that costly?
Robert

Hi,

WHY replace furnace also, only problem mentioned is a/c ?

Was the condenser (outside) motor not working and tested bad ?

12 years is old, but not prehistoric.

IF compressor is weak, the readings necessary to diagnose problem would show that.

I would only replace if necessary and then, only the a/c.

You could replace furnace later if needed.

This is the only limited info I can give without the needed readings from diagnostic tests.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?