change air intake to inside of home for air handler?

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

betty_joanne

we are having a new a/c/heater installed. The person installing wants to have the inflow to the air handler moved to inside of home. Not sure if that is the right thing that it is called. So i would have an air filter and vent on the inside of the home(hallway) like in a regular stick built home and the air would come from inside the hallway, go through the air handler, down through the crossover ducts, into the metal ducting and out the registers. If anyone can understand that is that o.k. to do or a really bad idea? If we do this dh would have to/not have to? remove the thing on the roof(roof stack) and reshingle some and seal.
another question is how do we check for holes, etc. in ducting if it is under belly material. We have a doublewided and dh is worried that the people who moved the home didn't put ducting back when putting it togeter and that we will have to rip off all of the bellymaterial and move around insulation to check.
betty_joanne

anyone? I am not loving this idea and i am looking for the cons.
Forgot to say that we are all electric and not gas.
Yanita

Hi,

I am guessing the reason you have not gotten a response is this needs to go in the HVAC forums. Heating, Venting and AC.

I will move it there for you and a tech will answer as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

Hi,

Little confused here on what you're asking.

You have an electric furnace inside home, correct ?

Do you have a/c also ?

You say move return inside home, where is it now ?

Clarify what you have now and what you are going to have.

Once I get this info, can answer more thoroughly.

Tell your husband you can inspect ductwork easily from inside home, but IF there is damage, will have to go through underbelly to repair in most cases.

Will explain more later.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?