old wayne mobile home furnace help needed

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

barrie m

Hope I cover all the points needed for help: I recently serviced my oil furnace and have been getting lots of "help" from the local shop but seems I may be getting mislead unintentionally - I installed a 579MH nozzle and in a couple months the furnace was burning very sooty and suddenly much noisier. Replaced with new (same) nozzle, good for about a day then same, - adjusted for more air into chamber helped a little, but not much. I put a new .50-80 degree nozzle in today along with a new filter adjusted air flow back to original setting ( from before 579 MH nozzle), is much better - but my question is this - If gazing thru the "inspection" window in the furnace is there a proper amount of flame or pattern to be seen ( have heard about the filter paper testing - do not have time to perform this particular test myself yet - but not out of the question) I just do not want to be overheating or doing other damage internal to the furnace as replacement cost is TOTALLY out of the question right now if it fries!! thanks for any help you can give - pictures would be awesome if available too. oh- only been using kerosene NOT fuel oil (4 yrs plus now)
hvac1000

using kerosene The unit should run very clean.

There is more to a tune up than just replacing the nozzle. You might want to arrange for a service call to see exactly what they do. A weak oil pump will also give you a headache under these circumstances.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
barrie m

OK - sorry should have been more thorough with my orig. topic post - couple months ago replaced nozzle, igniter electrodes, and ignition coil; vacuumed out the lower part of blast chamber, washed the "air filter" (its an oldie - like I said!) it only filters heated air though, checked the fuel filter element and housing for sludging. Found all to be OK at that point. So is there a "general rule" for flame pattern/height reach in the blast chamber? My old heater has a little "window" that peeks into the chamber to do inspection, you can readily see the flame coming up from below; was just curious as to a ballparking it setting to get it just in a "usuable/safer" burn to avoid any unneeded CO production. Just in case. moneys tight, gotta do what I gotta for now. thanks for any available help. ~BM~
hvac1000

General rule is no smoke coming off flame tops but add no more air than necessary. I have eye balled to many furnaces in my life when i was a young guy. Finally many years ago I got a Kane May tester from England and that always put it dead on with no guessing.

Nozzle education

http://www.delavaninc.com/pdf/Fuel_Nozz ... urners.PDF

Pictures and the HAGO site has a boat load of information just look around.

http://www.hagonozzles.com/products-oil-nozzles.shtml
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.