Intertherm S5QD-D42KA condensor fan going out

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

TheStitchWitch

The fan in our condensor unit keeps stopping. The AC continues to make noise and air flows but it does not get cold. We've shut it off overnight and then turned it back on the next day and it started up fine but then the fan stopped after a few hours. My husband spun it with a stick and it started spinning again.

I am guessing that I need to replace the fan motor. Is that most likely what it is and is replacing it something I can do on my own? The unit is 4 years old and it was new along with the house when we bought it.

Any tips or info would be appreciated!
cnyguy

hello:
i've seen this problem with my own unit happen. Good chance its not the fan motor, but the run capacitor for it that gives it a "boost" to run. It probably is a dual capacitor, compressor run and fan run, try replacing it. not expensive. I'm currently working on a system to shut the control system off when this happens, because if you let the compressor run without that condensor fan, you'll burn that puppy right out and require total system replacement. good luck i need to add that this could be dangerous, all power to unit has to be off, existing capacitor has to be discharged, even with power off.