intertherm e3eb-015h question

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Damian51

I have an intertherm e3eb-015h a/c with electric heat. When you open the air handler and look there is what appears to be about an 6" duct connected that feeds air into the blower area from the roof in my brand new mobile home. My question is what is it for and is it necessary? It's drawing hot and dirt air into the unit. I live in Louisiana do during the summer time it will be really warm air.

Thanks.
Damian51

And also one more question while I am at it, my farthest run (master bathroom) hardly has any air blowing thru it. And the master bedroom is constantly 5-7 degrees warmer than the other room . I just installed an thermal drape on the widndow in the room that constantly gets sun light today. So I'll guess I'll see how well that works tomorrow. Just asking for other suggestions. I also already turned down the returns in the other rooms that are constantly cold.
DaleM

That's a fresh air inlet. Sometimes they have an additional fan motor up top but most are just a vent. In really dusty/dirty environments too much dirt is pulled in unfiltered into the furnace and subsequently into the living environment. I disconnect them and use foil tape to close off the hole on the furnace cabinet. If it's the type with the additional motor be sure to disconnect all associated wiring.

As for air flow be sure the blower is set to the correct blower speed for the furnace size and air conditioning.
Damian51

Thanks for the reply Dan. How would I check blower speed. All other vents get plenty of air.

I think it just might be how this mobile home is. Today no ac on, where the thermometer is, it's 75. In master bedroom it is 80. I installed galia film on the windows in here as well as thermal drape in this room.

Would it be dumb to move the t stat closer to the master bedroom?
Damian51

Also ban did u tape off the duct too or just the connection to the furnace.
Damian51

Sorry read ur name wrong Dale lol.

One more question (yes I know a lot of questions but I am hungry for knowledge).

Noticed the air handler doesn't have an float switch. Is this common practice or should I add one.
flcruising

I blocked off our outside vent like DaleM mentioned on our E3EB unit. Basically unhooked the duct, taped over the hole, then hooked the duct back up.

Do you have ceiling or floor vents? Have you tried removing the vent covers in that room to see if that helps? Throttling them down in the other room (it's called balancing) should direct more to the master.

I redid our brand new homes ceiling vents because the factory obviously doesn't have HV/AC professionals working for it (not claiming I am either, but I at least know better than them). All the crappy restrictive stamped steel vents went bye-bye and were replaced with the curved louver type. Airflow was greatly increased in the rooms I needed.

I think moving the t-stat would be akin to lowering your t-stat setting. Leave it and address the airflow issue.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Damian51

Can u link me to the vents u have now? So I can find a few and try them out. I believe I have the stamped steel ones but not sure
Damian51

Also, I have floor vents

Last night I disconnected the fresh air which (maybe it is in my mind) seemed like the air comming out was cooler.

I also throttled (closed completely) the vents in one spare bedroom and spare bathroom. Also turned down the one in the computer room half way.

I am also experimenting with leaving the doors open on all the rooms.

Last night it was ok....cooled down evenly with the other rooms and was at desired temp when the ac kicked off. Now the issue I have is that where te t stat is, in that hallway it is always colder so it takes a while to kick back on, while the master is warming up. Master was at 74 and when woke up was at 77 (fine by me but fiancé likes it colder.) I am thinking this is the best I can get right now, and my issue with the t stat not kickin on will be remedied by when summer gets here and cooks up the house.

I guess the reasoning behind leaving the door rooms open is the increase air flow and try to even out the temps?

Anyone have any suggestions with my current issues.