Intertherm Sometimes Won't Restart

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

afranch

For much of the time the unit works fine.

What happens is occaisionally after the thermostat shuts the furnace down, the furnace won't restart.The furnace is clearly is getting the signal to restart because I can hear a repeated clicking noise as the unit tries to switch itself on.

What is that clicking noise and what will I need to do to fix the furnace?

Thanks in advance!
Andy
Robert

Hi Andy,

What is the furnace model number ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
afranch

Hey Robert, thanks for getting back so quickly. It's an FEH-015HA.
Robert

Hi Andy,

Most likely a bad sequencer.

Sequencer # 901075 can be seen and ordered here by paging down :

http://www.aberdeenhomerepair.com/store ... esults.php

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
afranch

A little more info I got (this is not in my home) is that the thermostat is what was doing the clicking. The furnace wasn't doing anything except perhaps a low hum.

The failure to restart is something that might happen once a week. I just replaced the thermostat and ran new wire and we are going to see if that handles it.

Do you still think it's a bad sequencer Robert?
Robert

Hi,

Depends on clicking and how many and where sound came from. T-Stat may be problem, but most often a sequencer.

Thanks,
Robert
afranch

Hi Robert,

The new thermostat did not help and I am going to try ordering and installing a sequencer. Before I do, is replacing a sequencer a very complicated repair? Will I need a manual or a wiring diagram? I've wired boxes, fixtures, outlets, switches, thermostat/furnace, etc.....how does this repair compare in terms of complexity?
afranch

Whoops, now I see there's an instruction sheet where I order the part!

Looks like something I can handle, but would like your opinion on difficulty. Does the furnace need to be removed to install the sequencer?
Robert

Turn power OFF, mark each wire or write where they go, Taking digi pics or video before is good.

Not very hard at all, just be sure each wire goes to correct terminal.

Thanks,
Robert
afranch

One more thing Robert....this is in a tenant's mobile home and I am trying to figure out how long it will take to do the repair.

Would I have to pull the whole furnace? Are the places I need to wire easy to access? I am going to check Nordyne's website and see if I can pull an old manual on this furnace.

Thanks!
Andy
Robert

Hi Andy,

Remove lower door panel, remove bottom controls cover panel from lower left opposite the fuses or breakers.

Sequencer is on back wall down inside there. Kinda cramped and wires in the way, most go to sequencer.

Male prong in one corner, one screw in opposite corner holds it in place.

That and the wires is all there is.

Top and middle spades are M1 thru M8. (120vac)

Very bottom are H1 thru H4, coil terminals. (24vac).

Be sure power is OFF to furnace. Flip furnace breaker at service panel and also the breakers at the furnace or pull the fuses.

Turn t-stat OFF.

30 minutes to 3 hours depending on eyes, reach and flexibility.

Thanks,
Robert