Melted Disconnect on Nordyne Electric Furnace

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

kevinharris

My house is heated with an A series Nordyne electric furnace. A couple of years ago it quit and I had a heater guy come out and fix it. It turned out that the 60 amp fuses had failed. The heater guy showed us that the clips holding the fuses were badly corroded which, he said, led to the fuses overheating and failing. We live about 75 yards from the Puget Sound so our environment is damp and salty. The guy recommended that we clean the fuses and clips holding them on a regular basis to prevent this from happening again.

Good advice which I promptly forgot about until the next time the fuses failed. I got new fuses but before installing them I cleaned the clips on the disconnect and the interlock bar which was also crudded over. The fuses failed again and this time the interlock bar and the disconnect itself got a bit melty.

I understand that Nordyne makes a disconnect that relies on breakers instead of fuses. Given our damp environment I’m wondering if this is a better option than the original system of fuses.

The other thing I need to know is if I should look further for the cause of the fuse failures. The reason I was given; damp, salty air, sounds reasonable to me but should I be checking for other problems in the heater?
Robert

Hi,

The circuit breaker may be somewhat better, not sure how much though.

The circuit breaker kits are $200+ .

That is most likely the cause of the fuses blowing, I would take care of that and see if all is ok.

What is your furnace model number ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
kevinharris

Thank you Robert!

The model number is FEH 017Ha-04.

Pictures of the fuse disconnect and safety disconnect available if you need them!
Robert

Hi,

Disconnect Assembly # 621029 (left side of page)

Circuit Breaker Retrofit Kit # 902514 (right side of page)

Either can be seen and ordered through PayPal from this page :

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/NordyneElec.html

Shipping = $8.00 on all orders, any size.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
billhrn

I have model FEH-017HA-01. My fusable disconnect melted also.The 60 amp fuses did not blow. We nearly had a fire. The 3rd contact from the left corroded and got hot before. This time it melted the plastic and "lost a tooth". The 2nd contact was beginning to melt also. I live in northern Mississippi. Salt water is not an issue for me as with the other writer. It looked like the corrosion may have been from disimilar metals being in contact. It got hot from increased resistance,and cooked the plastic. It took me over an hour to get most of it off. I could not get it totally unbonded even with a dremel and stiff wire brushes. I would say this, in my opinion, is a deadly blunder waiting to happen.If we weren't home the trailer may have caught fire. My family may have been injured or worse if my wife didn't wake up. I am kinda ticked about the fuses not popping off. Since my smoke alarms didn't work there getting replaced also. I am trying to see if I can get parts fron Home Depot and replace it with breakers. The furnace screwed up last week. I wish it happened closer to a paycheck.
billhrn

With all of my fussing about the furnace, I forgot to tell you i am greatful for any advice you can give on this. I think it is pretty cool you are trying to help folks with their problems. :D
Robert

Hi,

Please start a new thread with your questions. Then I will delete these. We keep 1 poster/question per thread to keep down confusion and make it easier to read and comprehend.

Thanks,
Robert