Coleman 7655-856 shutting down

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

samdur

The furnace in a1989 mobile home has been shutting down in the evening, including the pilot light. This is Arizona so it's possible to be comfortable with space heaters but the furnace has become a mystery to even the service man. I light the pilot in the morning, the furnace runs just fine until approx 11AM when the warmth from the sun warms the home enough that the t-stat would not call for heat. At about 5PM the furnace comes back on for one or two cycles and then shuts down completely including pilot light. If I relight the pilot, it will run another one or two cycles and then shuts down again. Two thermocouples, a new gas valve, pressure tests, new limit switch, a visit from the gas company which resulted in a new meter has not resolved the problem and the service man has no idea what could be wrong. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
DaleM

Sounds like you may be running out of fresh air for proper combustion. Roof jack has a concentric flue, one pipe inside the other. The outter pipe is the intake and the inner pipe is for exhaust gases. Go on the roof and pull the termination cap. Look down the inner pipe and check for holes and/or excessive rust. Can also look down the inner pipe to see if there is a build up of rust on the upper damper plate in the furnace. I usually find one of these a year. You will have to use a shop vac to clear all the rust that has accumulated on top of that damper.