Online retailer for new split-system?

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

sdshaw2

I'm looking to buy a new split system for my mobile home. The HVAC professionals in my area seem to be quoting me rather high prices and I have no idea if they are upcharging a lot or if that is actually how much it costs. They have given me quotes between $2500-$3000. I'm not really picky on brand, I just want something economical.

Does anyone know of some good online retailers for me to compare prices? It's hard to nail down exactly what is mobile home rated and what isn't.

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Bill

Hi,
I can't recommend anyone one company to give you a quote, what i can do is help point you in the right direction. I can't recommend anyone cause each part of the country is different and code are all different and some ares have permit fee's. This all is built into the price of the bid's that you will get. What you should do is get more than 1 bid. 3 bid's is a good number to shoot for. Next make sure that you are getting apples for apples on the bids. Say one company give you 80% furnace and the next two company's give a bid with 90% furnace, but the price is the same? That is not right. Check the warranties are the same or at least close to the same. If you are going to invest a lot of money you want something to protect your investment. Check to see what is covered in the warranty. Is it just part, or does it include labor? If no labor its not uncommon for a company to replace a broken part under the warranty but charge you by the hour to install the part. Also check the BBB. It will tell you if a company has had problems and not fixed them. Also ask the salesman that you talk with for references.
Hope this helps in making a good choice.
Bill
Please remember to check and change your filters.
MrPisky

Beware that if you buy Goodman products online or through any "telephone", "electronic", or "internet" retailer such as Ebay...they will NOT honor their own product's warranty. I just found this out today:

http://www.goodmanmfg.com/HomeOld/Warra ... fault.aspx

However, if you read the product warranty PDF, you will see the following message:
"Neither warranty applies to, and no warranty is offered by Goodman on, any unit
ordered over the Internet, by telephone or other electronic means unless the
dealer selling the unit over the Internet, by telephone or other electronic means
is also the installing contractor for the unit."
http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Portals/0/pdf ... ACHPCE.pdf

The main problem I have with this is there are a LOT of Goodman online retailers, but NONE that I've seen mention this information. I question Goodman's integrity for allowing their products to be sold online by non-installing retailers if they aren't going to honor the warranty for online purchased units. I also question the integrity of online retailers who KNOWINGLY continue to sell Goodman products without installing them, thereby voiding the warranty to their customer the SECOND that unit leaves their freight dock. As usual...Buyer BEWARE!
MrPisky

UPDATE: I spoke with one Goodman online retailer and they seem to be able to circumvent the Goodman warranty restrictions by having you register the unit directly through THEM instead of with Goodman. I don't know if this is legal, ethical, or proper, but the quality of the warranty would only be as good as the dealer who sold the unit and you would not be dealing with the manufacturer at all for a warranty claim. This could present problems down the road if there were a catastrophic failure event and you attempted to file suit against that manufacturer. Not legal advice, just something to consider.