Coleman EB17B

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

steelcity

My electric furnace is in a small area enclosed by a louvered door. When the door is closed it blows warm air, when the door is open it blows hot air. This is a new problem, it used to work just fine whether the door was open or closed. Needless to say I cant check any voltages because the door is closed when it doesnt work right. Any suggestions on this problem would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
hvac1000

Have you checked your air filters for the furnace? When the door is open it is allowing more air to the unit. Is there something on the back of the door blocking air flow?
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
steelcity

The filter is new and the door is clean, no obstruction.
Robert

Do you have a/c also ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
steelcity

I do but it is not the problem, this unit worked fine until a couple weeks ago, it is a lack of air when the door is closed and something is not doing its thing then. I might add that I hear a clicking noise when the door is closed, whatever is doing that doesnt know which way to go.
hvac1000

Can you post a few pictures of your furnace and area of the door?
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Robert

If you have A/C, you also have an A-Coil that is in the airflow pathway.

Make sure it is clean and clear and allowing air through it completely.

The clicking is the Sequencer.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
steelcity

I dont have any pictures to post, it is just a small area with a louvered door. I suspect a limit switch is getting too hot when the door is closed but dont know which one it might be. Short of replacing all three I dont know what else to do.
steelcity

Also my AC is a separate unit.
Robert

So your a/c is a self-contained unit with Evaporator Coil outside in Condenser Unit and not inside above your Furnace ?

If so, you could have a Limit that is weak and not holding.

IF you have no blockages through an a-coil or down in the duct and blower running full speed, then it is getting correct airflow.

If Limit is tripping, it is most likely weakened and just not holding.

When you suspect it is happening, you can turn power OFF, remove door and quickly test all Limits to see if any are open.

Remove wires and test for continuity.

Thanks,
Robert