Smell from vent

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

LisaBoyer

Hi all.

We recently started smelling what to me, is cat urine, coming from the floor vents when the A/C is on. We have a Coleman heat pump, installed 1995. My question is, can this come from the outside unit, if a cat has sprayed it? We have no cats, but occasionally one will wander through our yard, so spraying could occur.

I have taken off all the floor vent covers, scrubbed as far as I can reach inside with bleach water and still, the smell persists, but only when the air is on. No critters get under our house, so I'm trying to figure out how the smell is making it's way through the ducts. I was about to go out and hit the unit with a high powered hose, then a solution of bleach/water to see what that did, but I really don't know if that is a good idea, suggestions?

Lisa
DaleM

You say no critters can get under the home. Is this a single wide or double? Are there any flex ducts underneath? The smell should not be able to get in the house from the outside unit unless there is ducting running from it to the home.
LisaBoyer

Hi,

No, critters can't get under. It's a double wide, and as far as I know, there is no ducting straight from the unit. Since I scrubbed the vents and ducting with bleach water it seems to have lessened, somewhat. Not entirely though. We don't run the A/C often, so maybe moisture in the ducts, that started to mildew? Grasping at straws here!

Thanks for the reply, :)