coleman outside unit quit running

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

SKnss

Hi we have a Coleman BRCQD301BE we woke up the other morning and the inside unit was running and blowing air through the vents but the outside unit wasn't running we know the fan turns when you turn it manually you also hear humming from the unit outside could being low on freon make it not work or is it something else? Thanks Shelly
DaleM

Several things can make the outside unit not work. Verify power to the unit. The contctor may be energized which could be the humming in the unit. If 220v is there I would look at the capacitor. I replace many of those every year. Unit won't run if the cap is trashed. most likely your problem.
SKnss

OK thanks we will give it a try
jpingram5

The fan on the outdoor unit isn't running but it sounds like the compressor kicks over. I'd say a capacitor. I do not know that unit and some units have 2 capacitors and some have just 1. They are usually fairly cheap to replace. Just please ensure you have the circuit breaker switched OFF for the unit if you are going to replace it yourself. Also place a screw driver across the terminals on top of the capacitor to discharge any charge that could be left in it after you have the power OFF to it.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80